Excited!

Okay, so lets start with a little backstory first. Coming onto my university course, I wanted to be an editor - it seemed to be the only thing I was good at whilst making films on a tiny flipcam in Sixth Form. However, on arrival, I learnt that my 5 GCSE's and 2 A-Levels in Art and Design have helped me to develop a visual style and how to make a shot look pretty with content and meaning - thanks art teachers! 

My ideal role is to be a Director of Photography. I love the idea of being in control of what the shot looks like, and developing a close relationship with the Director. It's great for me, because I like to tell people what to do, but I want an input in the creativity of a production, so this role is the best of both worlds. 
But I'm not going to lie, these past few weeks I've felt like I've been tested as a DOP. I feel like my extremely naive knowledge into lenses and cameras has stopped me from being crewed for my year group (my lens knowledge = the 18-55mm lens does an okay job of things). 

So, what am I going to do about it?

Well, I'm so glad you asked! Firstly, I took the role as Camera Assist on Jamie Sergeants production, Tent. Initially I was shitting myself. I was scared to even touch a lens - what sort of DOP would I have been? Anyway, I plucked up the courage and just simply got on with it. I asked questions, learnt things about lenses and what they do, if I didn't know what something was I just simply asked (who'd a thunk it, eh?) and I even did some filming on a shoulder mount for the first time! You could tell I was nervous - the first take I did was so shaky, I'm pretty sure it looked like there was an earthquake. But the 2nd take I did, I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. And - hopefully - it looks great! 




Okay so that's the first thing I've done. The second is to finally learn about lenses, what they do, purchase some and test them out for myself. 

I spent a whole day with George reading up on what lenses mean, the difference between macro tubes and lenses, what ISO, aperture and Shutter Speed means (yes, I knew THAT little!) and how to get rid of grain. I also learnt about lighting; how to set up standard lighting, what lights you would use in specific locations, what coloured gels do, electricity usage in locations, what all the lingo means and more. I wrote everything down and got tested on it (I remember almost all of it!). I found that watching videos online really helped, it was pretty much like getting a lesson on camera/lighting, except I could pause them to write stuff down. 



DSLR Lenses from Vimeo Video School on Vimeo. (A great way to learn about lenses. Check out all of the other videos too, especially the general introduction to cameras)

Now, I feel like I know loads! Obviously not as much as a professional DOP, but I think I know enough to get me onto crews, get me noticed and to start me off on my career. 

The next step: I've booked out the shoot studio at my university to practice how to do standard lighting, mood lighting, change things on my camera (canon 650D) and actually use it. I've booked a dolly and a lowboy too, so it will be good to try those out! 
Oh yes, and here's the reason why I started this post in the first place: I bought stuff! Yes, you heard correctly, stuff! I bought camera batteries (exciting), a big camera bag, macro extension tubes and a 50mm lens. I nearly bought a shoulder mount too, but the one I want costs over £100 so I'm going to wait until I learn more about cinematography to buy one. 




Once my purchases arrive, I'm going to test them out and learn how to use them. I'm so excited to get started, I feel like it's the push I should've given myself a long time ago. 
So, here's my plan for the next few months: 

  1. Test out my camerawork/lighting this friday (3rd May). 
  2. Make a little short out of the footage and make it public for the world to see
  3. Develop my photography skills - go take some photos to look at my style of cinematography.
  4. Practice, practice, practice!
  5. Rent out a wide lens and test out some filming with it. 
  6. Make a short film during summer to show everyone what I've learnt. 
....let's hope this works! I'm hoping that if I put 110% of my effort into my DOP work, people will give me a chance and let me prove to them that I am a good Director of Photography, and I will be successful. 

Watch this space!


This entry was posted on Monday 29 April 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply