i don't know what to call this post, so lets just get down to it.



So, these past few days I have been extremely proactive with my career path.
I've created a CV, I've emailed people for my Professional Practice report, and I've even rang an executive producer from a well respected company! 

A CV, you say?
I procrastinated a lot with my CV. There's a lot of debate as to whether it should be professional, short and simple, or chatty, light hearted, and 'stand out' material. 
Me being me, I obviously chose the latter - in my mind, it's better to stand out and seem creative than be boring with my CV. It needs to catch the attention of the director/company, so something that is set out in a boring manner, with boring context and a boring layout would make me chuck it away straight away! Still, there's a little part of me that's wondering whether I should make my CV more professional...I guess only time will tell. 

Pro-pro-pro....practice?
I'm at that stage in my University degree where you have to decide what career you want to pursue, and actually (wait for it).........talk to people! An admittedly terrifying thing to do for me, as I struggle to even call a taxi or a takeaway. 
My topic if choice is Director of Photography. I chose this because I have such a passion in cinematography and everything involved in making a shot look utterly stunning, that this role seems perfect for me. 
The essay made me realise how much being a DOP would suit my preferences whilst being on set. I love the rush of being in control of what's happening around me and working with the camera man/woman. The controlling side of me gets what it wants, and the 'make everything look pretty' side to me gets what it wants too, a win-win situation for my inner me!
I'm nearly finished with my report, which is a great triumph for me as I had to re-do it all and I've had an operation recently so I'm still recovering from that - which is a definite set back. But have no fear, I've manned up, conquered on and caught up on all of my work. 

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, banana phone...
Nerves are a terrible thing. I hate nerves! It stops me ringing taxis, takeaways, doctors, hospitals, production companies and work possibilities. I'm always being a nervous ringer.
Even though they can't see me, my face goes bright red and I sweat in places I didn't think was possible. However, today I looked at my fears in the eyes, and defeated them - hoorah! 
I rang an executive producer for a huge production company based in Leeds, and it was a refreshingly light and cheery interview with a more than happy contributor. I was given invaluable advice regarding my career, how to get into the industry and how to stay there, as well as answers for my report. It gave me such a rush (nervous energy, but energy regardless) I felt like running around for hours to burn the energy off! Why did it give me such a weird rush? I have no idea. Maybe that's something I should look into. But today was a stepping stone for me, and I'm happy that I did it.

So that's my day for you. Because you obviously wanted to know... 

This entry was posted on Monday 8 April 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply